31 March 2023
Intelligent Subsea Battery Storage System
EC-OG has completed the first commercial delivery of its Halo intelligent subsea battery storage system. Hence, contributing to the first-ever autonomous offshore power trials in Hawaii.
The lithium-ion-based device will be part of the world-first autonomous offshore power sea trial. Note that the installation schedule is for the first quarter of 2022 at the U.S. Navy Wave Energy Test Site, off the coast of the Hawaiian island of Oahu.
The proposed system will be integrated into the sea trial. There, Columbia Power Technologies (C-Power) will demonstrate its Autonomous Offshore Power System (AOPS) in partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy, as well as Saab, BioSonics and Franatech.
On arrival at the site, Halo will have full integration with C-Power’s SeaRAY wave energy converter as part of the AOPS system.
Fully rechargeable, Halo can be integrated with marine renewable energy converters offering low carbon energy systems for subsea infrastructure.
- State-of-the-art lithium-ion battery technology maximises energy density and operating efficiency.
- Energy capacity and power output are scalable and configurable (100kWh, 250kWh and 500kWh standard capacities available on fast turnaround for emergency power applications).
- Charge in-situ using remote power generation or low-specification umbilical from topside or shore.
- Electrical accumulation provides peak power on demand, allowing power supply and distribution derating.
- Offered as standalone or can be integrated to other subsea equipment, like XT or Manifold.
Additionally, Halo will provide the seafloor base unit and the payload interfaces for; power, data and communications to multiple subsea payloads. Therefore, ensuring continuous energy availability for remote subsea operations.
“This is a crucial project for the industry which will demonstrate the integration of a selection of novel subsea technologies to deliver a reliable source of power as well as real-time over-the-horizon data communications. The learnings from this project will be significant for the development of the blue economy and further decarbonisation of offshore operations globally.”Paul Slorach, business development director, EC-OG.
Due to the design for the harsh subsea environment, the Halo system is a modular and scalable battery storage solution gateway for renewable energy to high-value assets which provides a reliable, uninterrupted power supply predominantly for seabed use, EC-OG concluded.
“EC-OG’s Halo system is an ideal complement to C-Power’s wave energy converters. When combined, the ocean changes from a power desert to a power and data-rich environment for customers who are ready to unleash a wave of innovation in the ocean economy.”Reenst Lesemann, CEO C-Power
See Also: Clean Ammonia unit